Tuesday 12 July 2011

One Pot Weeknight Winter Warmer

Beef Balls and White Bean Soup

Ok, I admit, I am no photographer, so this photo may not do it justice, but let me say, this meal is warm, full of flavour, healthy and it’s cheap to make!  It’s from one of the few cookbooks I refer to regularly, "Home Food", because I know I will always find something in there that’s simple and tasty.  I had to add a can of mixed beans because I only had one can of cannelini beans in the pantry.
What you need:
600g minced beef
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch finely ground nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1.5 litres beef stock
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 x 400g cans white beans (or cannelini beans), drained
½ savoy cabbage, finely shredded
Parmesan cheese, grated

What to do:
1. Place beef in a bowl with garlic, parsley, spices, and egg.
2. Mix together and season with salt and pepper.  If too dry, add more egg.
3. Roll mixture into small balls (small enough to scoop up onto a spoon).
4. Place beef stock in saucepan with carrot and bring to the boil.
5. Add meatballs, then turn heat down to simmer.
6. After 3-4 minutes, add beans and cabbage and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
7. Season broth to taste.

Sprinkle parmesan over each serving and serve with a little bread on the side if desired (for dunking).  Trust me, its a winner, and we had leftovers for the following night!

Adapted from Home Food

xSam

No comments: