Tuesday 19 July 2011

A Little Nudge on Tuesday


I have said before that I am easily distracted, however I do usually finish a book from front to back when it has a message and inspires me.  

Just wanted to share with you a quote from a book I just finished reading, Tuesdays With Morrie, by Mitch Albom.  Have you ever read it?   I know I am so behind the times, but I have wanted to read this book for a long time, and when I came across it on a treasure hunt recently, I thought it was about time that I read it. 

Lovely book, with some great life lessons, too many to mention, so if you haven't already read it, it's worth a read!  Here is a quote from the book I felt I had to share...


"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." (43) –Morrie

I won't dwell on the negative, but like many of you, my family and I have suffered terrible grief in our lives, and I have struggled with "the big questions" for a long time, even  from an early age. 

For me, after reading this book, I realise that through my life experiences (especially the heart-breaking ones), I have been given a gift.  That gift is the knowledge that I cannot take life for granted, I appreciate the simple things and value love over material possessions, money, power and status.  Those last four things are just a distraction from what is really important. 


A few things I have learned so far from my own life experiences ... 

You never know how long you have,  so every day is a blessing. 

Amidst the hustle and bustle, the routine and mundane, 
I try to remember to find time to do something I enjoy, 
 take time to listen to those around me, and "smell the roses". 

 I know this is what those who have passed would want,
and can almost hear them whispering (sometimes shouting)
it in my ear at times when I get off track.

In reading Tuesdays With Morrie, I have been reminded of what I have always known instinctively... to live a fulfilling and meaningful life, and so I will do my best to make the most of it.  

Sometimes we just need a little nudge, don't we?

Have you been given any "nudges" lately? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
xSam

No comments: