Wednesday 13 June 2012

My Creative Space - Completed Granny Square Cushion


You may remember I was working on a spiderman granny cushion for my son last year.  I decided against applying a spiderman applique to it (couldn't find one anyway), however, I couldn't decide or find the right buttons for it.  So it's been floating buttonless around the house for months, and really annoying me as the insert keeps hanging out and getting pulled out by the kids.  Well I finally found some buttons and finished it off this week.  




I'm still not sure that I like the wooden buttons but I think they do enhance the vintage feel and are practical for fitting through the large holes.  I could have sewn up the opening, but this way the cover can be removed and washed.

This is one of my first granny square projects, and being impatient as I can often be, I made the mistake of not sewing in some of the ends, so please don't look too closely..I had to go back and fix up those loose ends..BIG Lesson for me - Don't cut corners, it just means going back and fixing later (that's if it's not too late and hasn't become unravelled or lost it's shape).

So have you tied up any loose ends this week? Maybe you finished something that you've been putting off.  

Joining in with lots of clever and crafty folk over at My Creative Space today.

xSam

12 comments:

Mezz said...

love the cushion! i keep attempting to crochet, but it just hasn't quite sunk in. you've inspired me to give it another go, though! Mezz

LionessLady said...

This looks lovely - well done on completing a granny project! I loooove granny squares myself!

Sam said...

Hang in the Mezz, crocheting's great fun, once you get the hang of it (and I'm just getting the hang of it)..so many things you can make!

Claire said...

Hey Sam, love the colours of your cushion, well done on your first attempt and I think the buttons look great.

Sewing in ends is a pain in the neck. I'm working on a rug with 9 different colours.......there are so many pesky ends, hanging there, taunting me!!!

Will take forever to sew them in, but then what else do you do on Winter evenings?

CLaire :}

Sam said...

Thanks Claire, glad it's not just me finding those loose ends painful, maybe I need to learn to have more patience, maybe I need to do more crochet!

Leonie said...

I love the colours of the cushion!

Maxabella said...

It's lovely, Sam and I don't mind the buttons one bit. x

Christina Lowry said...

Oh, those buttons are a great choice I think! They always remind me of Paddington bear. :)

I'm finally finishing a sweater for Emerson that has been waiting at the bottom of my knitting basket. There are a few more projects sitting in the cupboard in my studio waiting to be finished off too that I should probably have a look at again soon...

rockmelon said...

love the colours, a delightful finished product, well done!

Sam said...

Thanks ladies, actually, the more I look at those buttons the more I like them too! It's such a nice feeling to finish something, I tend to move onto other things before I've finished a project off properly, like my other half-finished granny square cushion that's moved back to the cupboard (oops)!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

I love it too, i can imagine a little Spiderman hanging in there somewhere but he's not my favourite super hero. The cushion looks fabulous, as is, love Posie

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

This is gorgeous Sam, wish I had a creative Gene in my body!