Monday 19 September 2011

Lazy Hazy Sunday

Brisbane has been covered in a smoky haze for the last couple of days.  We're only just out of winter and it looks like we're approaching bushfire season already.   Yesterday it was 32 degrees, can you believe it?  It felt warm, but I didn't think it actually felt that hot.

I decided to venture out for some me-time, leaving the kids at home with their dad, just to recharge my batteries a little before the school holidays start tomorrow. 

So I headed off to one of my favourite spots, Old Petrie Town country markets.  It's a great day out for the family, but today, it was my day to browse at all the shops I wouldn't normally take my littlies into (you know what little hands are like).


I found this gorgeous zippered pouch at Billy Angel, I think the fabric is so pretty, and so soft too! Laura makes lovely personalised cushions for kids, handmade gifts, and also stocks jewellery and vintage treasures in her shop.   The shop is just gorgeous, I hadn't been for a while, and it was nice to meet a fellow blogger in person too!  I only wish I could whip up such beautiful things on my sewing machine.  Maybe we could trade sewing lessons for cupcakes? (just kidding of course Laura.. I think).

As I kept wandering through the markets, a few other things caught my eye....


a little needlecase and rose loveheart broach from Lilly Cottage, another shop full of vintage treasures and handmade gifts to drool, I mean browse through..



a basket of pansies to make our front porch a bit more colourful, sweet huh?


 

and some new lettuce seedlings to restock the veggie patch.


Later in the day I managed a spot of baking for our lovely neighbours too.  They were supposed to look like hydrangeas (hmpph), but that didn't quite work out (I was experimenting), so I tossed the piping bag and went back to basics, just simple cupcakes with sprinkles, afterall, it was Sunday. I'll try again soon, and with a new piping set.. they'll look beautiful if I can get it right.

I'll leave you with a glimpse of the sunset we watched from our backyard later in the day. The smoky haze had a positive side afterall, leaving a glowing red sun on a canvas of purply pink hazed sky.  I was a little late in getting the camera out, nevertheless, think it gives you an idea of how amazing it was.
  

How was your weekend? Have you noticed the change in season where you live?

Hope you have a great week.

xSam

2 comments:

Billy Angel said...

Hi Sam, It was dreadfully hot wasn't it. I'm so glad you like it at Old Petrie Town and paid me a visit. Always nice to see a fellow blogger in person. My Mum and I usually collaborate on the bags....she does the difficult bits like the zips. Your cupcakes look lovely. I've never been happy with the ones I've made. I'll keep trying though.

Anonymous said...

I never did get to visit the Petrie Markets when we lived in Brisbane and we were only up the road in Morayfield. Love your little finds, they are gorgeous and that sunset is gorgeous :)